Saturday, April 26, 2014

Lipari

Today we took the most beautiful hike on the island of Lipari.  Lipari is the largest of the Aeolian Islands and in Neolithic times was one of the few trading centers for obsidian.  Obsidian is a hard black volcanic glass that was prized because of it's very sharp edges.  We saw a lot of it in walls and just big pieces sitting in people's yards!

The hike started on a jeep road and then we started on the path that had been allowed to grow over (a local guy told us not enough govt money to maintain it) but it was fun bushwhacking through the wildflowers!  We ended the hike walking on a Roman built road to an ancient Roman bath!! I will not give much commentary today because the pictures speak for themselves!!!

 Our grown over path

 Jeanna slipped off the edge.  I knew she was just about a foot from the ground. . . she did not. . .I said "wait let me take a picture. . ."  Perhaps I should have told her she wasn't in mortal danger :-)


 The view from the other side. . .taken by Dan, our guide who was coming to rescue her!

 The steep climb up the hill

 The gang on the trail!




 Taking a rest after a particularly long ascent.  I think Jeanna thinks this is a beach vacation because I can gaze out to the beautiful blue waters!


 The paved road was built by Romans, or rather built by Roman slaves. . .nevertheless is still stands


 Me taking a picture of our group!



This picture is Iwa. . .she will know why

 The ancient Roman Bath. . .hot water still flows into it! In ancient times the hot water would pour into the bath!!


Today was a perfect hiking day. . . steep rolling terrain and magnificent views at every turn!  A great day!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I feel like I am right there with you, well as I am reading the blog on my computer. heehee I love all the writing and pics. What a wonderful time. be safe. hey to barb and deedee. love you both

    ReplyDelete