Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Virgin on Virgin

This was our first trip on Virgin Atlantic and what a treat it was!  We happened to find this awesome deal last summer when Virgin Atlantic was having a sale. . .so we got a great deal!  I have never had such service on any airline!  We were welcomed with a glass of champagne (Jeanna had orange juice) and were handed our night kits which had the eye masks, socks, toothbrush/paste, ear plugs, and lip balm.  We then explored our personal cubbies.
Pinocchio enjoying the welcome champagne
 Each cubby has it's own entertainment section, reading light, foot stool (or if you have a visitor they can sit there), and there is also a fold out table.  The seats were narrow but comfy and can turn into a completely flat bed (more on that later).
My cubby

My cubby
The flight attendant came around and asked if we wanted a "sleep suit"?  It didn't actually register what she was asking but I said "yes" because I never turn down anything free :-)!  She asked our sizes and then handed us these bags which had pajamas inside!!!  So I looked around and saw my fellow passengers going into the lavatory and coming out in their Virgin jammies. . . so off I went to change into my sleep suit!  They were soft, cuddly, and quite warm!  I was now set for the rest of the flight.

Jeanna and I decided we would have a quick dinner and then she will go to sleep and I will watch a movie then sleep.  Dinner came it was really good for airline food and Jeanna decides to get her bed ready.  There is a button that has a picture of the flat bed so I say just press the button and the seat should slide flat.  I am looking over my wall and instead of sliding to a flat position, the seat starts folding in half with Jeanna in the seat!  I see her head being pushed forward and then flashing blue lights start over head to alert the attendant!  We were laughing so hard that she barely made it out before it trapped her!  I only wish I could have grabbed the camera for that shot!  Anyway, flat beds are the bomb and with the duvet and fluffy pillow will actually got a decent amount of sleep!

The trip over the pond went smoothly, plane was early, transport to the hotel on time, passed the Queen's motorcade on the way. . . we are off to a good start!

Tonight I had dinner with an old friend, Ann who I had taught with at Sewickley Academy.  It was great to talk and reconnect.  Tomorrow we head off for a walking tour of London and then in the evening we meet our fellow travelers!  So I am sitting here in my Virgin jammies signing off until tomorrow :-)

6 comments:

  1. Deb....hysterical commentary on the inflight lounging! I have to say....didn't we give you strict instructions about using that flip video device for all events on the trip? It's not just for gorilla booty sniffing......this would've been a classic video to laugh at for year's to come. I certainly hope you weren't too busy with Angry Birds to get that video camera out of the bag! You should have it dangling from your neck 24/7 by now!
    Anyways...have fun in London and I'll stay tuned for more adventures...from D & J! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine Jeanna folding up into a seat!!!! Your friends are right....where is the video camera when you need it!!!!! That could have won on
    Funniest Videos.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great beginning! I'm really looking forward to following along on your grand adventure. It's wonderful that you have the time, means and health to travel as you do - we are so fortunate!
    Sending great travel karma - June

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mind is forming a Lucy and Ethel visual of that folding seat event. I can just picture Jeanna getting pretzeled while you are guffawing in your cubby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Deb, you made me laugh out loud, loudly! The poor cats are wondering if they should call the loony bin for their mommy... I have a pretty vivid image of Jeanna's eyes popping of of her head as she scrambles for safety. Too funny! I'm glad everyone survived in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the Varsity Flying Team!!!!! There is no way I would make the 20 hours back from India as often as I do if not for the wonders of the lay-flat seat. You can never go back!

    ReplyDelete