Sunday, September 1, 2013

Regensburg to Deggendorf

Today we got up bright and early to cover our  95 kilometers to Deggendorf.  We packed up our bikes and headed out of the city.  At the 11km mark there was a detour to see the ruins of Walhalla, it was up a pretty big hill so I decided to go on but Jeanna and her sister Paula made the climb to see the ruins.  They look the Parthenon which I have seen in person so I didn't feel I would regret it :-)!  Here is a few of it from my perspective!


The biking was beautiful today we cycle through farm land and pastures and views of the river:




At the 30km mark there was a lovely bakery to stop and have a little break.  I had a cheese bread type of pastry. . .it was delicious!  I waited there for Jeanna and Paula to catch up from the the Walhalla detour.  I waited and waited and waited. . . after 45 minutes and the sweep guide came in and said no one was behind I panicked!  Barbara and Dede had shown up about 20 minutes before and they had been lost getting out of Reggensburg so I thought there was a chance that Jeanna and Paula were lost as well!  The guides said we should go ahead because maybe they went ahead. . .. so we left to continue on the trail.  We had gone maybe 5km when a fellow group member caught up with us to let us know they had arrived at the bakery about 5 minutes after we left.  They had been taking lots of pictures on route!

The bike route is very scenic and every time you come up on a town you can see a church steeple or clock tower in the distance.  The towns are spotless and everyone has a beautifully manicured garden with lots of yard ornaments!  I love garden ornaments . . . there are lawn balls of every size and color, gnomes, and ornate bird houses.  At the 54km mark we ended up in Straubing and had lunch. . . .a very good pizza place!  


The guides told us that at the 90km mark there was a beautiful church and a fabulous Gelato shop!  The thought of gelato kept me going for the next 36km!!!  I did make a stop to watch a barge go through one of the many locks on the Danube

We finally ended up at the Gelato shop after 90km and I happy to report it is as good as the best gelato I have had in Italy!!!  I had one scoop of banana and one of chocolate!!  Jeanna took a picture of the Gelato stop but we cannot find her cord for her camera. . . alas no pictures!!  We had an easy 4km to the hotel.  When we arrived at the hotel our group was having a recovery beer so we joined them for a beer and then right to well deserved shower!!

Tomorrow is a shorter ride (60km) to Passau (which will be a welcome relief to my hintern (butt in German) )

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are wonderful. Hope the weather stays clear. Nothing worse than riding a bike in the rain!!!

    ReplyDelete