Thursday, August 29, 2013

The 48 Hour Day

The travel karma was good to us this trip.  We were worried about some thunderstorms in Erie so we left a little early for the airport.  The skies were cloudy but clearing as we headed out of New York into Pennsylvania so I was feeling better about getting out of Erie.  Our back up plan was to just drive to Detroit if there were any delays so we could make our flight.  I really didn't want to do that - we are not good at driving long distances and Detroit was outside of our 3-hour radius!!  As we approached the airport a single big black storm cloud hung over it - Jeanna and I burst out laughing because it was so crazy!  The cloud finally past and we spent 2 hours waiting for our plane.

The plane ride to Detroit is very short, flying time 35 minutes, so I was reading a magazine during the flight.  I hear a little boy behind me say "Daddy, what is that smoke?", we were flying in a cloud so I thought he meant the cloud.  Then I looked down at my feet and it looked like someone had started a fog machine. . .the flight attendant assured us it was normal condensation inside the plane!

We arrived in Detroit early and had a 5 1/2 hour layover.  I made the mistake of watching House of Cards on my iPad through Netflix and didn't want to quit watching to board the plane!  The flight to Frankfurt was uneventful but I only slept about 3 hours :-(!  

We still had a 3 1/2 - 4 hour train ride ahead of us so we collected our bags and got on the bus to take us to the train station.  Our train was supposed to leave from Track 4 so we were waiting on that Track. . .all of a sudden a Porter who I talked with earlier came and grabbed me and said our train was on Track 5!  We gathered our luggage and did an OJ Simpson down the track to get in the right car!!

Jeanna and Paula giving the traveling thumbs up!!


 




Jeanna and Paula tried to stay awake on the train ride but just couldn't make it happen!!!  We arrived safely in Regensburg and checked into our hotel.  We were all exhausted but trying to do the right thing but getting out and walking around.  We had our first German Beers and had lunch.  Our friends, Barb and Dede arrived from LAX so we met them for a drink and tried to keep ourselves awake until 8pm!

Jeanna is snoring beside me as I type and I just almost fell asleep waiting for the pictures to load so I am off to sleep as well.  Tomorrow we are going to do a city tour and meet our fellow bikers.

Gute Nacht jeder!

No comments:

Post a Comment